Friday, August 21, 2009

Should I get a 330ci bmw or 350z??

Should I get a bmw 330ci with 93,000 miles or a nissan 350z with 93,000 miles on it? How long do each of these cars usually last for?



Should I get a 330ci bmw or 350z??pop up blocker



2003 350z's had some issues that, while not a detriment to the car running, did cause some major headaches.



The first issue was known as tire feathering. It was a result of a improperly designed front suspension that caused the tires to wear faster than normal. The fix was either upgrading to a aftermarket suspension or changing to a different brand of tires (the stock RE040 are very soft). I believe Nissan released a TSB (technical service bulletin) on this issue and there is a fix for it through Nissan.



Another known issue was with grease streaks on the windows. I forget the cause, but there is also a TSB on this issue as well.



Lastly, 2003's seemed to suffer from some intermittent issues with the transmission failing early. My friend had a 2002-built 350z (she was one of the first to own it when it came out) and her tranny needed to be replaced at 60k. However, there are some who have gone upwards of 80-90k without issues. There seems to be no rhyme or reason for the random failing.



If you could, spring for a newer model Z. Aim for a 2004.5 or higher (a 2004.5 is one that was produced in the latter half of the year. There was a completely revised front suspension). These newer Z's fixed a lot of the issues with the early Z's and are a much better buy. I would also stay away from the 2006 and 2006 300hp models, as those motors have issues with burning oil and there is also a TSB out for that as well (I have a 2005 350z with this particular motor and I am having the problem).

No comments:

Post a Comment