Sunday, August 23, 2009

I want to go into the USMC and be a mechanic for BMW, what should I do?

I am 17, currently a senior in high school, and also taking an auto class at North Metro. I am also in the DEP for the USMC, I am scheduled to got to basic June 1st, 08(active duty). I don't know if I should do 20 yrs in the corps and retire, or get a job working for BMW after tech school. I know I would make a lot more money working for BMW cause the car industry is so short on workers(my teacher said he made 80grand his 3rd year as a certified mechanic), but at the same time I think I would like the lifestyle of the USMC a bit more. Think I could retire at the age of 38 from the corps, and then began a career working for BMW or for whatever other company I want to work for? Will the USMC pay for auto tech school? If so how long would it take me to complete school while on active duty? If I were to get a mos for aviation mechanics in the corps could I just retire and work for bmw with out any schooling? What are my odds of being severely wounded(arm or leg blown off) or killed if my MOS is aviation mechanics and I serve 20yrs/? and for 4 years? Any advice appreciated



I want to go into the USMC and be a mechanic for BMW, what should I do?husqvarna



First of all, I absolutely do not believe that a mechanic with three years experience is making 80k per year at a dealership. I come from a family of mechanics and a journeyman union mechanic probably makes between $40k - 50k a year. That's with somewhere around 12 - 18 years experience.



Give the Corps your four years and see if it looks like something you want to hang with. If you retire after 20 and you'll have good benefits for the rest of your life and you can make a career change if you like.



I'm not sure what the current college reimbursement program is for the military but it should pay for trade school as well as traditional college.



An aviation mech MOS will be safer than being a grunt. Mech's will generally be at an airfield or base rather than pushing the front lines.



Either way, thanks in advance for your service.

No comments:

Post a Comment