Sunday, August 23, 2009

Fuel pump in a 97 BMW 528; how much should it cost to replace?

My car conked out on Monday morning on the way to work (lucky me!). It's a 1997 BMW 528i, and the mechanic tells me it's the fuel pump. I prefer to have repair work done at the dealership, but I'm afraid I may not be able to afford the dealer's charges this time.



Our family mechanic gave me a price for the part and the labor, but this is my first time coordinating repair work after my separation from my husband and I want to make sure I'm not being taken advantage of.



How much should this cost me?



Fuel pump in a 97 BMW 528; how much should it cost to replace?live update



For a 1997 BMW 528i :



Fuel pump assembly: 228.99



Fuel filter -------------- : $27.30



labor (2hrs) ------------ 100.00



total - about 350.00.



Your looking at more than 500.00 if you go to a dealer for the same service



Fuel pump in a 97 BMW 528; how much should it cost to replace?norten



I would go with the independent shop if they are installing a new fuel pump rather than a remanufactured pump that isn't necessarily designed for your car. Ask the shop about the parts options and whether they can install a new pump. This assumes you are going to keep the car and want the problem fixed once and for all!
Call around to see what the part costs. Remember, the mechanic marks up a bit sometimes if he is charged a delivery charge.



Then call the dealership and ask how many billable hours go with the job and then plug in the hourly rate the mechanic charges. If after adding the part price and labor together (along with various environmental shop charges) you come close to what he quoted, then you should be OK.

No comments:

Post a Comment